Monday, October 5, 2009

Imonikai with Kitchen Echo / キッチンエコーの芋煮会

I'm pretty busy with my assignments recently, though school reopened only 1 week. And that's why I haven't updated my blog for quite some time.

These weeks, I had 2 imonikai-s.

What's IMONIKAI?
IMONI(芋煮) is a type of thick potato and meat soup eaten traditionally in the autumn in the Tohoku Region of Japan. KAI(会) = Festival.


We had our imonikai by the riverside, full of nature. I love such outdoor activities.
Besides, as imonikai is a very traditional event, when autumns comes, supermarkets here sell those ingredients in set and even lend you the pots and tools. You don't have to buy a big pot just to use it once a year.



最近忙しくて、長い間ブログを更新しなかった。

この二週間、2回芋煮会を参加した。

キッチンエコーの皆で川の隣で芋煮会を行った。私はこういうアウトドアの活動が大好き。












My boss / マスター





My colleges with the big pot / 同僚とでかい鍋



In Yamagata Prefecture in particular, and its neighbours in general, imonikai (imoni get-togethers) are an important autumn tradition. Tourists flock to Yamagata for the Autumn Imoni Festival (Akino Imonikai)where they join local residents on the banks of the Mamigasaki River on the first Sunday in September,to eat imoni from a gigantic iron kettle, which uses a building crane to add ingredients and stir the pot. In 2009 the festival served imoni to 3o,ooo guests before the pot was empty.(from WIKI)


2 comments:

  1. this activity quite special wow..
    but i like it.
    gathering friends, cook and eat something outdoor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's a nice outing, but malaysia is too hot for this, ha.

    ReplyDelete